The World of Work Guidance
The World of Work Guidance booklet is put together to guide students through every aspect of choosing careers and applying for jobs, including where to look for jobs, the different routes into employment (including apprenticeships), CV writing, creating a positive digital footprint and target setting.
World of Work PSHE Curriculum
The World of Work unit of our PSHE curriculum sits alongside our World of Work Guidance and form time career guidance. It drills down into more detail of how to be competitive in the local and national job market and includes:
1. How to write a CV (The Catenians)
2. How to write a covering letter
3. Interview success
4. Employability skills (Paula Taplin from the DWP)
5. Mock interviews (The Catenians)
6. Financial management
Adviza Careers Interviews
Students have the opportunity to meet with a career’s councillor through the school. Students should speak to their Heads of Year for a place.
Form Time Career Guidance
One registration session a week is dedicated to careers guidance via 1:1 interviews with the form tutor and guided research using:
- eCLIPS (see your form tutor for the password, eCLIPS gives you access to information on over 1400 jobs including live labour market information and a wealth of impartial advice on education and employment choices) https://www.eclips-online.co.uk/
- Start Profile (log on using your Microsoft email address and password, by following Start’s structured and progressive activities, the platform caters for all students helping them to make more informed decisions about future study and career options at the right time and in good time) https://www.startprofile.com/
- The National Careers Service (explore jobs by category) https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers
Students are also sent a quarterly copy of CareersMag https://careermap.co.uk/careermag/ via PDF (there is also a paper copy in the Sixth Form office).
Students should also use:
- CareerMap – https://careermap.co.uk/
- NotGoingToUni – www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/advice/subjects/4/Apprenticeships
- Apprenticeships.org.uk – www.apprenticeships.org.uk
- UCAS Apprenticeships – https://www.ucas.com/apprenticeships-in-the-uk
Sutton Trust Apprenticeships Summer School
This is an exciting opportunity for our Year 12 students, applications for Sutton Trust Apprenticeship Summer Schools are opening on Monday the 11th of January (these are different to the opportunity outline for universities as this focusses on those who wish to follow an apprenticeship route).
Students will gain an in depth understanding of degree apprenticeships, what they involve and whether a degree apprenticeship is the right choice for them. They will hear from current apprentices, experience networking opportunities, attend sessions hosted by employers and learn the different application processes employers use. Every student will receive a range of digital resources to support their future choices. It is also a chance to develop networking and digital skills whilst interacting with employers.
Please click here for more information on entry requirements: https://www.suttontrust.com/our-programmes/apprenticeship-summer-school/
A week dedicated to promoting careers information in the sixth form – Mon, 1 Mar 2021 – Fri, 5 Mar 2021
A week dedicated to promoting apprenticeship information in the sixth form – Mon, 8 Feb 2021 – Fri, 12 Feb 2021
National School and College Leaver Show – Ascot
Every year, we host a trip to Ascot racecourse for sixth form students in December. This brings together employers, colleges, universities and GAP providers in one place to provide careers information and guidance for our students. This year, over 80 exhibitors will be taking part from top universities to the British Army to companies such as Nestlé. This year the event is virtual and we have access to this for free. Below is a PowerPoint that talks you through how to access the event, registering is easy and just requires filling out a few details and an email address. The event is only live until the 30th of December so make most of this brilliant opportunity.
Students took part in December 2019 and found the trip extremely useful in guiding their career choices. However this year will be a virtual event, attended in school during PSHE.
Mock interviews held by the Catenians Society. Students are given written feedback for their reflection.
SEGRO Volunteer Passport
A programme funded by SEGRO in which students are taught employability skills alongside volunteering opportunities.
5-day Work Experience – Learning to Work
Each student is provided with 5 days of work experience in the summer term, organised in conjunction with local company, Learning to Work. Students are interviewed beforehand to ensure they are prepared for the palcement and to ensure that it meets the reqquirements for their career goals.